Thursday, March 17, 2005

About Boo

So many folks on Knitty.com have asked me about the little cat I use as my avatar there, so I've decided to post a little about Boo for his growing legion of fans.



Boo, or GP Linanci's BooBoo B'ear of Tarantara, is a Cat Fanciers' Association Grand Premier (that's the title for pedigreed cats who have lost their boy and girl bits) is a Scottish Fold. Yes, his ears are supposed to look like that! Like all other fold-eared Folds, Boo's ears folded over when he was about six weeks old and slowed their growth. They are tiny compared to most adult cats' ears, and they are soft, floppy, and extremely expressive. There are three recognized degrees of fold: single, double, and triple. Single-fold cats have ears that just kind of turn over on the ends and may sit out parallel to the top of the head. Boo has the coveted triple fold, meaning his fold over right over onto his head, giving that wonderful round headed look.

I bred and showed Somalis under the CFA cattery name Tarantara for ten years, but when I got out of showing and breeding, it was Boo I kept for myself. It was as much a surprise to me as to anyone. Boo was intended to be a short-term resident of the house. I had gotten him from my friend Linnea Danielsen in Florida, with the idea that I would take him out of her area to show him to a Grand title and maybe to a regional win. That year there were so many good Folds in Linnea's area that the competition would have been difficult. Although Boo is top show quality, he is a minority color -- this means that his color and pattern are unusual for this breed. Most Scottish Folds are "with white", meaning that they have large quantities of white in their fur. Boo has none. He is a silver classic tabby with gorgeous "painted-on"markings, but it's still unusual and, in cat showing, unusual is not always good.

After I was done showing him, I would find him a good pet home. I've done this before -- showed cats for friends. I've showed a Turkish Van, a Norwegian Forest Cat, and a Javanese, and never had trouble finding them wonderful pet homes after their showing days were over.

Well, things have a way of working out differently than intended. Boo granded easily, but I own the only neutered Scottish Fold on the planet who is totally disinterested in food. This is a breed that is supposed to be well padded (read: chunky) and he refuses to weigh more than about seven and a half pounds. So, a regional win was not likely. Then, when I decided to get out of showing and breeding due to allergies, I found that the one cat I could not part with was Boo. He has the absolute best personality.

If I had known I was going to retire, I probably would have kept my foundation queen Somali, a sweetheart of a little girl named Maddie, but I had not known at the time. It is my one regret that I did not keep her.

Like many Folds, Boo has the funny habit of sitting on his backside like a little Buddha, with his tummy in the air. The picture just below his of "Albert" on his home cattery's web page shows this posture perfectly! He also likes sleeping flat on his back, toes up, or sometimes doing what we call the "dead seal" where he presses himself perfectly flat on his tummy with all four paws sticking out like compass points.

5 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Blogger zibibbo said...

Wow Rothane thanks for posting on your avatar. I'd always been curious about that cat!

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger entrelac said...

Boo is adorable. :) I'd heard of scottish folds so the ears didn't faze me, but I can not get over his ROUND eyes. They're so expressive! My mutt-cat Crackbaby would be very jealous.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Sherry W said...

I seriously want to give him a squish every time I see his Avatar!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger catgrrrlll said...

Thanks for giving us Boo's bio. He is absolutely adorable. I've wanted a Scottish fold ever since I read "The Cat Who Went To Paris". Our Maggie has big round eyes like Boo and her personality is very much like I think a Scottish Fold's is. I joke that she is one but her ears just never folded!

 
At 10:13 PM, Blogger roxy ^-o-^ said...

Boo probably knits when you're not home :)

I'm a Watertown brat, but it's been YEARS since I was there. My family is mostly Carthage, Pulaski, Baldwinsville, Syracuse & Watertown ---- WOOHOO upstate NY!!!

xo Roxy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home